Thursday, February 7, 2013

We love salmon!

I try to serve salmon once a week.  I prefer wild salmon for health and taste, but most of the time we buy farmed as that is what is more readily available.  If it is very fresh, it is still so delicious!  I do salmon really simple, usually baked at 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on how thick it is.  I like to put Penzy's Northwoods seasoning on it, or just salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice.  I have other salmon recipes which I will try to share in the future but those are my go to ones.  My kids gobble it up!

This meal was perfect!! I love this potato recipe and I followed this recipe for coleslaw and it was delicious!

Ugh I can't figure out how to rotate this!!

Here's my version of the potato recipe
  • 1 pound potatoes (I used Yukon gold)
  • 2 pound sweet potatoes (or more)
  • 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 8 cloves garlic, whole
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
  • Pepper
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts (I didn't add this but it sounds good if I had them!)
Directions:
  1. 1
    Preheat oven to 450ºF.
  2. 2
    Peel and coarsely chop the potatoes and sweet potatoes. Combine potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, butter, and olive oil in a large bowl and mix well.
  3. 3
    Spoon mixture into a 15 × 10-inch roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt. Place on bottom rack of oven.
  4. 4
    Roast mixture, stirring twice, for 25 minutes.  Add garlic half way through. 
  5. 5
    Add hazelnuts to potato mixture and mix well. Roast, stirring twice, until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.

    I didn't follow the exact times; just roasted until some bits were brown and toasty and almost burnt, but not quite.  I used my big turkey roaster pan and it worked great.  



No comments:

Post a Comment